Thursday, October 1, 2009

Paulette's reaction

The next morning I got to the course early, I remember Paulette walking up to the room where the course was being held I was seated outside, and she came up to me and said. "Where I'm staying is a little one bedroom flat, as I live a fair distance north of here. I read the first three chapters of your book last night," I remember breaking into her conversation with a quick fire "So what did you think?" You have to remember, I hadn't had any contact with a any other authors before and I really wanted some sort of acknowledgement or at least a professional opinion. "Well," she said as she took a deep breath. "Like I said I am staying at a little one bedroom apartment for the week end and I'm alone. When I had finished reading the three chapters, I had to get up and make sure that the soul stealer wasn't lurking behind my door."

Now this I wasn't expecting, I was stunned, I thought I was going to get constructive criticism, or perhaps a "Don't give up your day job." I certainly didn't expect Paulette to say that one of my imaginary characters was playing on her mind, it really was justification for me, I remember asking her, "is there anything I should do to improve it?" "No what you've done is wonderful," she said. "So as an author am I doing a good Job?" I hesitantly asked. "As an author you're doing a great Job Kev," was her response. I Remember taking real heart from those words and the determination level in me raised to heights I didn't think existed. I owe Paulette a real debt of thanks for her encouragement and support, she was exactly what this boy needed in his life at that time. Thank you Paulette.

No comments:

Post a Comment