Sunday, October 4, 2009

Using my experience to create a unique story.

When I sat down to write what is now called, 'Dream Raider' I started with a basic Idea which rapidly inflated and was hard to control. I think the reason why people get drawn into this story is because there is so much of myself in there. Like most people you get so busy and so caught with the mundane, we lose track of our selves, then we look at others and say "wow they lead an interesting life." Then we dismiss our own lives as boring, I know I did. I had never considered my life to be interesting or worth looking back on. Come to think of it though I was never told by anyone in my life that I was worthwhile. I have two brothers but have always felt alone, we just tolerated each other but most of the time we couldn't even do that.

Any sort of creativity was seen as a weakness or as something to be looked down upon, I can see now it was out of jealousy and petulance. I'm basically a gentle soul and I do tend to wear my heart on my sleeve it's another thing that's seen as a weakness and has been exploited in the past. In the world I grew up in your feelings and emotions were something to be hidden and not discussed they were not for public display. Much to my detriment at times my sensitivity would just pop out and leave me stranded and exposed in certain situations. So most of the time I would just end up being a loner, it's safer that way. The problem is, that tends to bring with it another set of problems, your then seen as antisocial when nothing could be further from the truth. You crave the company of others, you see them running and playing during the school breaks and all you want to is be invited in, but then you have to change to fit into their way, a vicious circle. We ride an awful lot of those in our lives, and don't they bite hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment