Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Critique

I have recently joined a writers group. For the first 14 yrs I had done and been alone with my writing. So being around a group of writers was a daunting prospect. I was really nervous about submitting a piece for critiquing as I had this vision of people looking over the top of their glasses, all shaking their heads with extreme disapproval at what they had just read. It's what school was like for me, so that's what I was expecting when my turn came for submission.

What I did find was a group of dedicated people who really care about the other people sitting at the table. None of them were condescending, or put themselves above the others. Basically we are all the same so that's how we are all treated. I submitted a piece of flash fiction it's a piece I posted here around Christmas time, called 'Long Haul' originally titled 'Why' also posted here. I got so much helpful feedback that once I got the time, I sat down and sorted through the comments.

I felt like I was opening a Christmas present it was that good. I sorted through all the comments and tweaked the story once again pulling it tighter together. I'm lucky, the writers group I belong to is generous and caring, but I have heard horror stories about other writing groups. So thanks to Andrew,Jan,Kelly,Maggie,Deb,Robin and our group leader Karen. I'm glad to be part of the team.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you found the critique a positive experience, Kev. That's all we can ask for when our work is scrutinized by our peers. After all, it's our baby, we've laboured long and hard over it, and when someone else babysits, we worry that it's being treated the way we treat it. But it's all good...and food for thought, once we can get past the initial letting go. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good little group Kev - we are all there to get better, and looking at what other people put their heart and soul into is an important part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the right writer's group is almost as challenging as finding a spouse! They're not all equal, and we all don't fit perfectly in every one of them. It's great to hear stories of writers who have found a comfortable home.

    Regards
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kev, Welcome to Logan 'Crime' Writers. I'm glad you feel comfortable in the group and able to let go and trust us with your first story for critique. I wish you the very best of luck with your Flash Fiction...Karen Tyrrell :))

    ReplyDelete